SACNAS is an inclusive organization dedicated to fostering the success of Chicano/Hispanic and Native American scientists, from college students to professionals, in attaining advanced degrees, careers, and positions of leadership in STEM.
The full acronym stands for Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science.
Vision, Goals, Strategies & Values
SACNAS achieves mission impact through outcome-based programming and initiatives. To learn more about our rationale, approach, and long term objectives, please see the most recent:
Strategic Planning Documents
2013-2014 Annual Report (online viewer)
2012 - 2013 Annual Report (online viewer)
2011 - 2012 Annual Report (online viewer)
2010 Annual Report (online viewer)
- To increase the number of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans with advanced degrees in science and the motivation to be leaders.
- To increase the number of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in science research, leadership, and teaching careers at all levels.
- To increase governmental commitment to advancing Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in science resulting in increased resources, elimination of barriers, and greater equity.
- Inclusive of ethnicities, cultures, and scientific disciplines
- Focused on having a real impact through our purpose and mission
- Committed to standards of excellence in science and education
- Fully mindful of the importance of students’ K-12 experience
- Devoted to full engagement of our members in our work
SACNAS was founded in 1973 by a group of minority scientists, and was incorporated in 1986 under the name of Society for Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science, Inc. In 1987 SACNAS received tax-exempt status under section 501c3 of the Internal Revenue Code.
Funding for SACNAS’ programs is contributed in part by the generous support of our grant funders & sponsors, through earned income of the organization (services provided throughout the year and at the SACNAS National Conference), and by the individual gifts from institutions and members.