Prepare and train yourself for global leadership roles.
Summer Leadership Institute Mission Statement
The objective of the SACNAS Leadership Program is to develop the next generation of underrepresented minority scientists whose leadership contributions will serve to strengthen and unify our communities at the national and local levels. The institute prepares participants to assume leadership roles in the global scientific community by offering advanced strategic trainings that develop critical leadership skills.
What SACNAS professionals are saying about the Summer Leadership Institute
"Whenever I tell people about SLI I emphasize the quality of the Institute, the strength of the network among participants, and the focused commitment to minority leadership. I've done a fair bit of professional development and SLI is among the very best in terms of top-notch facilitators who are really invested, insightful research-based information about the realities of minorities engaged in leadership, and extremely useful, in-depth exercises for understanding your leadership style and creating a leadership development plan. I think that if CEOs could pay to have the training we received, they would line up at the door with fat checkbooks in hand."
- Lekelia (Kiki) Jenkins, PhD, Assistant Professor, University of Washington: Class of 2011
"The Institute was transformative. I will highly recommend it to everyone. Thank you for the honor of being chosen to participate."
- 2010 Leadership Institute Participant
The Summer Leadership Institute (SLI) provides premier training for motivated underrepresented minority (URM) scientists who wish to master the skills necessary to lead institutional transformation. Developed in collaboration with the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), the SLI is an intensive five day course featuring small group exercises, keynote speakers, leadership development planning, networking opportunities, and extensive community building among selected participants.
- Offer an unparalleled curriculum that focuses on issues specific to the needs of underrepresented minority (URM) science leadership.
- Establish and support a rich network of leadership-minded URM scientists.
- Provide participants with take-away tools and individual planning to leverage leadership advancement at their home institutions.
- Summer Leadership Institute: Developed in collaboration with the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), the Summer Leadership Institute is an intensive five-day course featuring small group exercises, keynote speakers, leadership development planning, networking opportunities, and extensive community building among selected participants.
- Conference Leadership Workshops: During the annual national conference, SACNAS offers multiple leadership workshops aimed at three levels: postdoctoral fellows/new PhDs, junior-career professionals, and mid-career professionals.
Institute Date: July 22 -26, 2013
Location: Stanford University
Upcoming Regional Meetings, Events & Trainings
Join SACNAS at the 2013 Community College Day and learn more about the amazing possibilities available to you! This event allows participants to explore the different fields in STEM and learn more about the vast amount of support available.
Upcoming Conference & Leadership Institute Events
Join us at the 2013 SACNAS National Conference “Strengthening the Nation Through Diversity, Innovation and Leadership in STEM" in San Antonio, Texas, October 3-6 and help us celebrate our 40th anniversary!