Apply for the 2014 Summer Leadership Institute
Prepare and train yourself for global leadership roles.
What SACNAS professionals are saying about the Summer Leadership Institute
"The Institute was transformative. I will highly recommend it to everyone. Thank you for the honor of being chosen to participate."
- 2010 Leadership Institute Participant
"Whenever I tell people about SLI I emphasize the quality of the Institute, the strength of the network among participants, and the focused commitment to minority leadership."
- Lekelia (Kiki) Jenkins, PhD, Assistant Professor, University of Washington: Class of 2011
Summer Leadership Institute Mission Statement
The objective of the SACNAS Leadership Program is to develop the next generation of underrepresented minority scientists whose leadership contributions will serve to strengthen and unify our communities at the national and local levels. The institute prepares participants to assume leadership roles in the global scientific community by offering advanced strategic trainings that develop critical leadership skills.
The Summer Leadership Institute (SLI) provides premier training for motivated underrepresented minority (URM) scientists who wish to master the skills necessary to lead institutional transformation. Developed in collaboration with the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), the SLI is an intensive five day course featuring small group exercises, keynote speakers, leadership development planning, networking opportunities, and extensive community building among selected participants.
- Offer an unparalleled curriculum that focuses on issues specific to the needs of underrepresented minority (URM) science leadership.
- Establish and support a rich network of leadership-minded URM scientists.
- Provide participants with take-away tools and individual planning to leverage leadership advancement at their home institutions.
- Summer Leadership Institute: Developed in collaboration with the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), the Summer Leadership Institute is an intensive five-day course featuring small group exercises, keynote speakers, leadership development planning, networking opportunities, and extensive community building among selected participants.
- Conference Leadership Workshops: During the annual national conference, SACNAS offers multiple leadership workshops aimed at three levels: postdoctoral fellows/new PhDs, junior-career professionals, and mid-career professionals.
2014 Summer Leadership Institute
Tentative Application Submission Window: February 11 - March 18, 2014
Tentative Institute Date: July 14 -18, 2014
Location: Stanford University
- Must be a SACNAS member at the time of application submission
- Doctorate degree required
- STEM field preferred
- Postdocs and professionals in academia, industry, government, and non-profits are invited to apply
- Current Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Upcoming Conference & Leadership Institute Events
The SACNAS Summer Leadership Institute offers unparalleled training for underrepresented minority (URM) scientists interested in advancing their leadership skills.