Through the generous support of government agencies (NIH, NIGMS, NSA) SACNAS is able to offer a limited number of travel scholarships for the annual SACNAS conference. A SACNAS Travel Scholarship funds the travel and lodging expenses to attend the 2014 SACNAS National Conference in Los Angeles, California, October 15 - 19, 2014.
Browse this page to find more information on:
Make sure to hoover over the green 'Travel Scholarships' link atop to view all the resources pertinent to the travel scholarship application.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be one of the following at the time of application submission and during the conference:
- Undergraduate - including Community College & Tribal College students
- Post baccalaureate - up to three years since degree completed
- Graduate - including Master's and PhD programs
- Postdoctoral Researcher - up to five years since degree completed
- Be pursuing an education/career in STEM or a related field
- Be in good academic standing (students)
- Be enrolled full-time in an accredited college or university in the Fall 2014 (students) or be able to provide proof of degree completion (post baccalaureates and postdocs)
- Be a current SACNAS member. You must have current SACNAS Membership (thru conference dates). You will not be able to access the application without current membership.
- Have a SACNAS Profile. Update your SACNAS profile or create one.
- Applicants with outstanding balances cannot receive an award and should submit payment to become eligible.
2014 Application Period: March 17 - April 15
All eligible applicants are encouraged to apply during this period.
If you are participating in an undergraduate summer research program you should apply in the summer
Applicants should submit all application materials by the deadline (no exceptions will be made)
Applicants will receive their notification 6-7 weeks after the deadline. Do not contact the SACNAS office before then.
Applicants who receive an award will have 2 weeks to accept/decline the award, register and submit registration fees for the conference. Failure to register for conference will result in award withdrawal.
2014 Application Period: June 16 - July 14 at 5 PM PDT
The purpose of the summer application is to accommodate undergraduate students participating in a summer research program. The summer application prioritizes space and funding for students conducting summer research.
Students in a summer research program:
- Have your summer program information available (program name, host institution, program director name/email) as you will have to enter it on your application. Please note that we will contact your summer program director to verify your participation.
Students not in a summer research program:
- You cannot re-apply in the summer if you submitted a spring application that was not approved.
- If you missed the spring deadline SACNAS will still consider your summer application, however applications from students in a summer program will receive priority.
*Please note that graduate students & postdoctoral researchers are not eligible to apply during the summer.
Program Directors: for more information on the summer application period please review the 2014 Summer Program Directors Letter
- Lodging (room and tax only) at a conference hotel for four nights (Wednesday, October 15th - Sunday, October 19th) and
- Airfare , car* or train* travel to Los Angeles, California
* Awardees requesting personal car or train/bus travel assistance will be reimbursed after the conference for expenses and must be within a 200 mile radius from the conference location.
- SACNAS does not cover the conference registration consts. Student registration for the conference is $315. More information on conference registration will be available mid-April.
- NOTE: Award DOES NOT cover membership fees, registration costs, ground transportation to/from the airport/train station, baggage fees, or travel itinerary change fees. Also, the SACNAS Travel Scholarship does not fund international travel. SACNAS only grants travel from the United States and Puerto Rico.
- Applications are reviewed by SACNAS staff and professional SACNAS members to determine the best overall applicants. The highest-rated applicants are selected as scholarship recipients.
- Scholarships are scored on the basis of academic record and financial need.
- The following applicants will receive priority consideration for an award; however, award allocation is not solely based on the criteria below but is also subject to application review and availability of discipline-specific funds.
- First-time applicants with accepted research abstract
- First-time applicants without an research abstract
- Returning applicants with accepted research abstract
- Please note that
- Travel scholarships are not awarded to students in the immediate conference location area (Los Angeles County).
- Students who are more than 200 miles away from the conference location area receive priority
There are various webpages available that you should review before starting your application:
- Application Instructions - this page includes the application forms and requirements
- Application Resources
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Alternate Founding Sources
Upcoming Conference & Leadership Institute Events
The SACNAS Summer Leadership Institute offers unparalleled training for underrepresented minority (URM) scientists interested in advancing their leadership skills.
Join us in celebrating science and culture by taking an active role at the SACNAS National Conference. Serve as a speaker, abstract reviewer, student presentation judge, or mentor.