Doris Duke Conservation Scholars Program
The University of Washington is thrilled to announce a new program, the Doris Duke Conservation Scholars Program (DDCSP@UW). The goal of this multi-year conservation immersion program is to broaden participation within conservation, and diversify what it means to be a “conservation professional.”
We’re looking for 20-25 freshmen and sophomores to join us for an 8 week immersion course this summer. Our program starts in Seattle (3 weeks) and travels to various landscapes across the state (4 weeks) before returning to the UW campus at the end of the summer (1 week). Scholars don’t have to be environmental science, or even science, majors, but should demonstrate a commitment to the environment and to diversity, and be curious, creative and enthusiastic – incipient change-makers.
Conservation Scholars will:
• Explore conservation across urban, managed, and protected environments
• Connect conservation to cultural heritage and environmental justice
• Understand conservation in the context of food, water, biodiversity and climate
• Network with conservation professionals from agencies, NGOs, and academic institutions
The Year 1 experience, Classroom in the Field, starts on June 23rd, 2014. Doris Duke Conservation Scholars will have all travel, insurance, food and lodging paid during their 8-week summer experience and will receive a weekly stipend of $500. Year 1 Scholars may be invited to join a Conservation Solutions Team, or receive a prestigious Conservation Internship in subsequent summers.
You can learn more about the program at www.uwconservationscholars.org.
Deadline: Friday, Jan 31, 2014
Click a term to initiate a search.
- All Disciplines/Interdisciplinary (1)
- Bio/Agr/Env Life Sciences (1)
- Biochemistry/biophysics (1)
- Bioengineering/biomedical engineering (1)
- Biology (general) (1)
- Chemistry (except biochemistry) (1)
- Cell/molecular biology (1)
- Computer/systems engineering (1)
- Electrical/electronics/communications engineering (1)
- Physics (except biophysics) (1)