Paid Summer Internship in Public Health and Healthcare
Health Career Connection (HCC) provides paid internship opportunities to undergraduate students and recent graduates interested in careers in public health and healthcare, with a priority emphasis on Health Management and Policy, Health Education, Community Health, Environmental Health, other areas of Public Health, Health Information Technology, Health Finance, Healthcare Consulting and Nursing Administration.
While all students are eligible, we strongly encourage students of color and those from disadvantaged backgrounds to apply as HCC has a commitment to increasing the number and diversity of healthcare leaders and professionals and also to increasing opportunities for people who are from or want to serve underserved communities.
HCC does not offer clinical or research related internships. However, students interested in medicine or other clinical careers and that also are considering or want to explore one of HCC's priority careers are also encouraged to apply. Many HCC projects involve some exposure to clinical professionals and issues. Students from ALL fields, including but not limited to Health Sciences, Public Health, Healthcare Policy and Management, Community Health, Business, Political Science, Sociology, Biology, Biochemistry and Pre-Medicine (with a strong interest in public health or administration) are welcome to apply.
Students apply into the HCC program, not specific positions. Placement decisions are made based on intern interests and qualifications and site availability at the time of final selection.
Guidelines for this internship are:
- Internships are full-time (40 hours/week) educational opportunities that last 10 continuous weeks (from June through August). All candidates must be able to commit to this time frame.
- Attending Summer School or studying for any standardized test for graduate/professional school while pursuing this internship is strongly discouraged.
- Internships are located in:
- New England (Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island)
- Northern California (San Francisco Bay Area from Santa Cruz to Sacramento)
- Southern California (Greater Los Angeles, Inland Empire, Orange County and San Diego)
- Central California Valley (Fresno, Modesto, Visalia, Bakersfield)
- New York/New Jersey (New York City and its 5 Boroughs, Northern New Jersey, Princeton)
- Coachella Valley (Palm Desert, Palm Springs, Coachella, Cathedral City)
- North Carolina (Robeson County, Scotland County, Hoke County, Moore County, Forsythe County, Triangle Region, and Triad Region)
Please pay specific attention to the application instructions when choosing a region.
HCC does not cover relocation costs, housing, or transportation.
Payments to interns average $3,000 - $4,000 per internship.
Based on applicant's interests and skills set, selected finalists will be placed within prominent healthcare/public health organizations (hospitals, academic medical centers, community clinics, medical groups, health plans, health departments, & advocacy groups)
Through an apprenticeship model, each student is paired with a preceptor who will serve as a mentor and guide, sharing their experience and wisdom. Interns will have the invaluable opportunity to participate in seminars and workshops, which are incorporated in the summer schedule as well as other important professional conferences and networking events.
Students will work on meaningful projects and develop professional skills that will strengthen their preparation and qualifications for health careers that are aligned with their interests.
Note: Please do not submit transcripts, letters of recommendations or any additional documents. They will not be considered.
Applications must be completed and submitted by Monday, February 11, 2013 at 11:59 pm PST.
Deadline: Monday, Feb 11, 2013
Click a term to initiate a search.
- All Disciplines/Interdisciplinary (10)
- Bio/Agr/Env Life Sciences (3)
- Biochemistry/biophysics (4)
- Mathematics (general) (1)
- Bioengineering/biomedical engineering (2)
- Biology (general) (5)
- Chemistry (except biochemistry) (2)
- Medicine (e.g. dentistry surgery optometry veterinary) (1)
- Botany (1)
- Chemical engineering (1)